AFES COMMITTEE MEETING 29TH OF JANUARY 2019

AFES COMMITTEE MEETING 29TH OF JANUARY 2019

AFES COMMITTEE MEETING

Tuesday, 29th January 2019

Minutes of Meeting

Present

Greg, Chee Kong, Sean, Craig, Michelle, Richard, Neil, Damien

Apologies

Ebrahim, Kostas, John, Ed

Upcoming seminar – Theme chosen (Petrophysics in late life/mature fields), abstract flyer out. Crowne Plaza booked 24th April. Marketing and distribution of flyers. Please promote within your own circles, including making a post on your Linkedin page. Stephen back on 5th Feb so will anticipate update then.

***PLEASE ALL PROMOTE THIS SEMINAR AS MUCH AS YOU CAN – FACEBOOK, LINKED IN, INFORMING CONTACTS OUTWITH AFES MEMBERSHIP ETC***

Field trip – 30th May. Highland boundary fault. Flyer…? Stephen back on 5th Feb so will anticipate update then.

Student presentations ‘warm up’ sessions – some responses from previous sponsored students. Stephanie to follow this up.

PhD Student grants – CV / application from Raisya Noor Pertiwi approved by committee for £1000.       Ebrahim will supply bank account details to Neil for payment to Raisya.

MSc student grants – applications won’t be received for another 4-6 weeks as project titles have not been supplied to students, thus project themes not yet known. AFES should expect more applications from students in next ~6 weeks. Sean is promoting the availability of AFES sponsorship within UofA.

Committee decided to remain sponsorship at £500 per MSc, £1000 per PhD.

Ed as asked Geoff Page (BHGE) for this year’s best student. A cheque will be awarded at Devex. Greg will arrange details of when/how to present cheque.

The Archie charity cheque will also be donated at Devex. Greg will arrange details of when/how to present cheque.

Membership list –       are our emails getting through?       Michelle suggested that yes, the emails are getting through. Committee also supported that AFES emails were being received.

SPWLA: Ed to update on current SPWLA and AFES relationship.

2019 evening talks. Stephanie suggests for this current season we are booked up for evening speakers.

  • Openfield – work in progress (between Chee Kong and Stephanie).
  • S&P Global Platts – work in progress for late 2019 care of Greg.
  • EOR by Dave Wilkinson UofA (Stephanie has this potential speaker’s email address).
  • Potential talk on Geosteering – mentioned by Damien. Damien to discuss this with Stephanie.

Committee on the move – Greg replacing Ed as President, Neil replacing Greg as Treasurer, Kostas replacing Michell during maternity leave. Kostas to support as Secretary in Michelle’s absence. Michelle is off from 1st April.Please now direct Treasurer matters towards Neil (CC’ing Greg for the immediate future).

Monies and sponsorship:

Gaia paid until December 2019.

Corex won’t be renewing, but will oversee supply of cut cores for speaker gifts. BHGE due March – unsure if they will renew.

Spirit paid for their talk (~£260). Read potential sponsor (c/o Chee Kong).

John is overseeing AFES sponsorship

Next meeting suggested 19th February