AFES COMMITTEE MEETING
3rd September 2020
Minutes from Meeting
meeting held at 16:00 via Zoom:
Greg – host
Chee kong, Neil,
John, Ed, Damien
Topic: AFES August committee meeting
Time: Sep 3, 2020 04:00 PM London
Meeting ID: 937 9034 8322
Events – planned:
- Full day seminar 2nd and 9rd September “Core: the most valuable asset in your reservoir”
- ~80 delegates from the 2nd Sept session – great work.
- Free event and easy to administer and manage
- Easy for delegates and speakers alike
- Hope this will increase membership list (currently ~270)
- Link to seminar recording is hidden on youtube and this only available to membership (who will receive the link)
- Proposed next seminar is 21st April – theme suggested is porosity and permeability (actual seminar)
- Possibly have this event actual (we are committed with the Crowne Plaza Hotel) and also virtual via web link
- Field trip in August – had to cancel Ythan Estuary field trip. Greg and Stephen will look into w/c 14th sept for next attempt to host this (it also offers social aspect – much needed). Note Tuesday 15th has low tide at 18:47
- Devex – Devex September 21st for that week There is not a financial penalty associated with this.
- The programme will be published very soon
- 5 days of afternoon sessions
- 2020 “evening” Seminars – Chee Kong. SPWLA DS most of next year:
- 7th October – Craig Buchan (TaskFronterra) + AGM
- 11th November – Nixan Saxena / Matthias Appel (Shell) – Digital rock technology for accelerated RCA & SCAL: Application envelope and required corrections
- 18th November – Read Cased Hole – Topic TBD
- December – possibly LR speaker courtesy of Tegwyn
- 13th January – Paul Craddock Schlumberger – Thermal maturity-adjusted log interpretation (TMALI) in organic shales
We also have interest of speakers from:
- PetroLink (our contact at PetroLink is Max Sheridan)
- Alberto Ortiz (YPF, Argentina on unconventionals). SPWLA speaker. Greg has emailed Alberto (CC Chee Kong)
- Vassilios Kelessidis on Drilling Optimization (Kostas is our contact with Vassilios)
Students and Universities:
Ebrahim / Alistair – we have granted sponsorship to Vagia Ioanna Makri for £500. We have not heard back from this individual for their bank details.
Greg will approach Geoff Page for a new student rep
Finances are good. Balances available on request
Website / IT
- Linked in
- Mailing list
Christmas quiz is, at present, unlikely to be held. But how to raise money for Archie? We could have some sort of lighthearted, money raising aspect to the Dec talk potentially?
SPWLA – no updates
AGM – committee positions and format of AGM. Suggest format will be web based once again.
Greg, Stephen and Chee Kong are happy to remain in their current roles. However, Greg and Stephen are coming to the end of their tenure, and so if anyone is interested in these positions please let us know.
Jeremy wishes to stand down from Media Officer to SC, Alex I understand is happy to step up
Damien happy to remain on SC
Greg will discuss with Ed on Monday how to canvass membership input during social distancing/lockdown
Neil will generate finance slides
Any other desires to step up, or even step down (or even step out with AFES) please let us all know