AFES COMMITTEE MEETING
Thursday 26th November 2020
Minutes of Meeting
Meeting held at 17:00 via Zoom:
Greg, Stephen, Chee Kong, Girvani, Neil
Topic: AFEM Committee meeting – November 2020
Time: Nov 26, 2020 05:00 PM London
Meeting ID: 856 2879 9646
Teams software appears to work well so we will continue to use Teams
- Recent talk was from Read Cased Hole (Beverly Heeley and Tim Farrar) on 18th Slides posted on website
- Next talk is from Epslog on 2nd Dr.Christophe Germay – Epslog on “ Early trans-disciplinary high resolution core logs to steer the core analysis flow”
- 9th of December – Vassilios C. Kelessidis on “ Drilling optimization revisited: How close are we to drilling optimization while drilling (DOWD)?”.
- 13th January – Paul Craddock Schlumberger – Thermal maturity-adjusted log interpretation (TMALI) in organic shales
- Xmas Quiz: Propose AFES hosts Spring/Easter “Xmas” quiz, and this will hopefully be a real event and thus we can also use as fund raising for Archie
- Full Day Seminar: topic suggested to be ‘porosity and/or permeability’. Stephen making up flyer. Crowne Plaza Hotel may allow us to postpone (again) the physical rental of the conference suite. We’ll work on this nearer to April as CV19 changing almost weekly. Seminar planned for April 21st
Speakers to be confirmed:
Greg has verbal interest from PetroMac (PetroMac do a SPWLA presentation on their wireline rollers). Also a potential for HLB wireline imaging tool (StrataXaminer Peter Barrett Peter.Barrett@halliburton.com)
- Greg is speaking with SLB for a talk on Ora (wireline sampling tool)
- Any more (or new for 2021) SPWLA updated distinguished speaker ..?
Students and Universities:
- Kazeem Odunlami has applied for PhD grant and been paid £1000.
- Vagia – grant of £500 (we found her at last!) The MSc grant winner’s bank details are from Greece – she has been paid
- Greg suggests top student recieves £500 (not £250), Greg will propose at next committee meeting to ensure more committee present to express their views on this
- UofA best student for 2019/20: 4x top students have been awarded £500
- Haigh, Gregory (Pgt)
- Gerrard, Stuart (Pgt)
- Abdullahi, Misbahu (Pgt)
- Dayang, Hafizatul (Pgt)
- Daniel was asked to contact the university, if possible, to retrieve the winner’s trophy to engrave new winners’ names. Trophy is still mislaid but Daniel will try to find. Obviously life is difficult due to many people working from home and thus unable to be traced easily for Daniel
- Neil has summarised the current account and savings account details. Balances available on request.
- Awareness that Devex won’t produce any significant profit for 2020
- John is finding it difficult to reach the current sponsors due to the current CV19 situation and local industry slump. It was decided to keep the sponsors on board and he will do the rounds and let us know the outcome.
- John is working (gently) on SLB Abz
- Greg has potential with SLB (SLB wireline) and will work this one with John
Website / IT
- Linked in – It was decided to have multiple admins for the LinkedIn account..
- Facebook – Jeremy is updating Facebook …? Is this ok with Jeremy?
- Website – Alex is managing the website host (1&1 ionos) expires on the 7th/8th of November. Tegwyn has overhauled the website and now has new, more modern look.
- SPWLA nominations open for variety of ‘outstanding achievement’ awards and similar. See SPWLA website for details
- Chee Kong suggested Survey Monkey survey to canvass membership feedback, sometime in New Year, could enable better AFES suited to local community
- We have a total of ~280 members. The roughly breaks up into:
- Operators – 17%
- Academic – 10%
- Service companies – 37%
- Private email addresses (i.e unable to determine affiliation) – 36%
- General thoughts on how to proceed with AFES – during CV19 (which appears to be continuing wit restrictions) we’ll proceed in our virtual world for the foreseeable.