AFES COMMITTEE MEETING 30TH OF APRIL 2019

AFES COMMITTEE MEETING 30TH OF APRIL 2019

AFES COMMITTEE MEETING

30th April 2019

Minutes of Meeting – April AFES Meeting

Present:

Greg B, Craig L, Kostas C, Stephen M, Jeremy T, Chee Kong C, Ed D, Neil C

 

General:

 

Insurance – renewal c/o NC via Gallagher insurance Inverness at ~£400 has been paid

 

Craig Lindsay regional director SPWLA from June onwards

 

 

 

Students and Universities:

 

Students/Universities and AFES funding:

PhD funding for Zhihua Cui (UofA) & Mohamed Garum (Leeds) – both approved for sponsorship. Can Ebrahim liaise with Neil to make payments of £1000 to each student. Obviously take appropriate steps to ensure these are genuine applicants and AFES is not being scammed. (GB is enquiring to ensure LPS are not sponsoring Mohamed)

 

 

2019 best student is Wei Wei Jong. A cheque will be awarded at AFES Field Trip (30th May) for award of cheque and trophy (£250). ED please chat to Wei wei to make sure this is conveyed to her.

 

Student relationships – GB will speak with Geoff Page (UofA) prior to the September student intake. GB can find a PoC at Heriot Watt. Kostas may have contact at RGU

 

GB now has the out-dated Trophy. GB will enquire with Geoff Page for updated lost of top students

 

 

 

Sponsorship:

 

AFES donated £750 to ESTA

 

John is overseeing AFES sponsorship. JB will chase various companies for sponsorship. Outstanding payments from Read. Chee Kong will chase this up

Chrysaor suggested as potential sponsor <- JB?

 

 

 

 

SPWLA:

 

SPWLA current status: GB is almost ready to distribute a AFES membership survey for SPWLA. This will be done via a survey monkey survey assisted by Chee Kong. Once the SPWLA affiliation is resolved the constitution can be updated

Note that the SPWLA special committee (ED JB RA GB) voted to remain within SPWLA 3 votes to 1.

 

 

Events and Talks:

Upcoming full day seminar. 11th September. Title needs some tweaking but suggested is ‘Saturation height Modelling & Late Life Petrophysics’. Refinement suggestions welcome from all

 

Altus workshop tour. GB will begin to organise this with Robert Maddock

 

Summer social – any volunteers to organise..? – curry and/or ten pin bowling suggested.

 

Field trip – 30th May. Highland boundary fault, Stonehaven. Flyer on website. KC to send out second reminder to membership

 

 

 

Devex:

 

Devex  – KC is organising a simple stand (i.e a poster) at Devex and manning this stand. GB will be at Devex to support manning the stand.

 

Charity – The Archie charity cheque (£1000) will also be donated at Devex. GB will arrange details – Tuesday evening networking session – Archie rep will be Ellis

 

 

 

Finally…..

 

Next meeting will be 28th May. KC to send out meeting invite as soon as practical to the committee.

 

Monies – ~£61800 in savings account.   Recently paid for ESTA (£750), insurance (£400), and now 2x £1000 PhD grants