AFES COMMITTEE MEETING 28TH OF SEPTEMBER 2020

AFES COMMITTEE MEETING 28TH OF SEPTEMBER 2020

 

AFES COMMITTEE MEETING

28th September 2020

Minutes from Meeting

Meeting held at 17:00 via Zoom:

 

Invited:

Greg

Chee kong, Neil , Jeremy

Stephen

Tegwyn

Ebrahim, Craig

Ed, Alex

 

Topic: AFES August committee meeting

Time: Sep 28, 2020 05:00 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/8486473627?pwd=eVBWSUdiSERQZ3NSTnFPMm9tVU5qdz09
Meeting ID: 848 647 3627
Passcode: Ei00fy

 

Events – planned:

Postponed events due to COVID-19

  • Full day seminar 2nd and 9rd September “Core: the most valuable asset in your reservoir

This was a great success and very easy to organise and administer

However a core company [grievance company] raised a grievance against a presentation and this has been channeled through AFES:

To the Mr G Blower, AFES president, Mr Chee Kong, VP Technology and Mr Stephen Morris, VP Seminar,

First of all, we would like to thank AFES for being an active chapter of the SPWLA and a provider of quality events for our business community. We’ve attended the AFES 2020 webinar on cores on September 9th and thoroughly enjoyed most of it.

During this webinar, Mr XX from XX  triggered our attention with his presentation on DECT capabilities for digital rock characterization.

Although we do consider Core DECT a useful component in the chain of core analysis methods and tools, we believe this or any other technology should not be sold as the final and unique answer to the question of early core description, especially if defending such a position should require more a marketing effort relying on unfounded and biased statements than a sound and honest technical presentation.

As experienced professionals, we believe we do share a responsibility towards the community of core analysts and especially towards its new professionals in keeping impeccable standards in the quality of technical arguments made to address the competition and for the evaluation of new concepts.

The core principle for a correct evaluation of data acquisition methods and tools should in fact root in an objective balance of costs in time and material vs the value of the information.

It is [grievance company’s] opinion that Mr XX talk failed to address the above, relaying instead a large number of inaccurate statements and biases, which cast a doubt on the technical validity of most of his conclusions. His conclusions were indeed at 180° degrees from the ones of YY from YY. YY is a third party data user with no interests in selling measurements, which has an unbiased opinion.

 

As a stakeholder in the community of core analysts, we believe this is in our interest to respond to this presentation and to draw the attention of the community on such malpractice. We discussed the matter internally in order to define an appropriate reaction, and decided to consult the board of AFES on the possibility of an official communication.

Please find a slide pack documenting our reaction to Mr XX  presentation.

Could you revert back to us with some information about our options to post a rebuttal note to Mr XX presentation via AFES most appropriate channel and about your formal requirements for such a reaction?

We thank you for your attention.

Best regards.

 

I [Greg] have sent a brief reply, which thanked them for their interest in AFES and then suggested we ask Mr XX to contact [grievance company].  I’ve not heard back:

 

Firstly, thank you for your interest in AFES, our recent Seminar, and also your clear support for AFES in general.  Without this type of support and encouragement AFES would struggle to operate, being a volunteer Committee of around 15 members

Moving on, obviously AFES cannot be held liable or responsible for the detailed contents of presentations.  We offer out regular technical talk and full day Seminar ‘slots’ which allow speakers to come forwards and present, however we don’t (and won’t) dissect these prior to airing

Would you like me to put [grievance company’s ]  nto contact with Mr XX?

As you mention in your closing slides, healthy debate is desirable, however AFES would insist on staying a neutral party of course

Would [grievance company’s ]like to present for AFES at a technical talk in the near future?   The theme could be based on your rebuttal maybe?

 

AFES’s Committee meeting discussed this situation:

  1. AFES are not responsible for minute content of presentations
  2. Stephen will email all attending delegates to the Core seminar with speakers lides, but NOT yotube vidoe links (which will be retained with AFES). This is in an effort to mitigate any issue between the two parties in this grievance
  3. AFES will use a disclaimer – which is borrowed from SPWLA:

“ARTICLE VIII –  SECURITY OF INFORMATION

None of the technical information arising from the meetings and discussions
can be considered confidential.  It is the responsibility of each person to
contribute or withhold information according to the authorization delegated
to him by his company or institution.  The statements and opinions expressed
by a contributor should not be construed as an official action or opinion of
the Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts, Inc.”

 

  • Devex –  Devex  September 21st for that week  Ed:  is there any financial costs / fee associated with this?  Maybe but sponsorship money should see a small profit returned to AFES

Typically 300 delegates each day

Note that GoToWebinar was used for Devex which is flexible and easy to use.  It can have polls, and much more interaction/control.  Could use for future AFES seminars but costs £300~ per session.  SPWLA is investigating other platforms.  Tegwyn will be the person to consult on the outcome from SPWLA

 

  • 2020 Technical Talks (“evening” talks) –  Chee Kong.  SPWLA DS most of next year:
      • 7th October         –  New Speaker Jun Zhang, Ph.D, Fady Iskander (Probe) + AGM
      • 11th November                 –  Nixan Saxena / Matthias Appel (Shell)  –  Digital rock technology for accelerated RCA & SCAL: Application envelope and required corrections
      • 18th November                 –  Read Cased Hole  –  Topic TBD
      • 13th January      –  Paul Craddock Schlumberger  –   Thermal maturity-adjusted log interpretation (TMALI) in organic shales

 

Speakers to be confirmed:

Greg has contact with PetroMac wireline rollers.  PetroMac do a SPWLA presentation on their rollers.  Greg will enquire

Tegwyn will send SPWLA updated distinguished speaker list to Chee Kong

 

AGM

AGM scheduled for 7th October 17:00, webinar.   Aim is to have ~20mins for AGM, then hand over to the technical Talk (Probe)

AGM needs to ratify new committee structure.

Kostas is stepping down from secretary but happy to support AFES remotely from a sub-committee position and still working on LinkedIn.

Committee positions open are:

  • Technical Sub-Committee – 2 positions available (Chris Blair (Total) is potential)
  • Currently held by Kostas Christou. This position will be open, with nominations from the membership sought.
  • Communications / Media Officer: Currently held by Jeremy Titjen.  This position will be open, with nominations from the membership sought.
  • Vice President Seminars: Currently held by Stephen Morris.  Stephen has completed a 2 year term and is seeking re-election. Further nominations from the membership are welcome.
  • Treasurer: Currently held by Neil Cardy.  Neil has completed a 2 year term and is seeking re-election. Further nominations from the membership are welcome.

 

 

 

 

 

Students and Universities:

Ebrahim will let Greg know how many / how much we have granted to students this academic year

Geoff Page has named 4x top students from 2019/20.  Committee have accepted all 4x students each receive £250 prize money for top student and this will be mentioned at AGM.  The glass trophy which resides at Abz Uni can be updated when appropriate

“HAIGH, GREGORY (PGT)” <g.haigh.19@abdn.ac.uk>                       Aberdeen

“GERRARD, STUART (PGT)” <s.gerrard.19@abdn.ac.uk>                  Brunei

“ABDULLAHI, MISBAHU (PGT)” <m.abdullahi.19@abdn.ac.uk>       Aberdeen

“DAYANG, HAFIZATUL (PGT)” <h.dayang.19@abdn.ac.uk>              Aberdeen (probably)

 

 

Money

Finances are good.  Balances available on request.  AFES Opex is very low due to Cv19 and associated webinar approach

 

Website / IT

  • Linked in –                              kostas will continue to manage for the foreseeable
  • Facebook –                              Jeremy will hand over to Alex Kaye after AGM
  • Website –                              Website will be handed over to AK after AGM.  There is enthusiasm for refresh of website, automation of mailing list**.   AK will also change list of events in ‘events’ tab to run from soonest to latest (not latest to soonest as is current)

There is also talk of replacing Ionos.  AK will look at this with Tegwyn.

**Mailing list:   when AFES website has a new member the new members name/email is taken via AFES website and stored on 1&1 database.  This database must then periodically be accessed and any new members extracted.  New names/emails are copied into an excel sheet, currently stored on AFES shared drive (and Greg has back up).  This method is ok, but could be improved

 

AOB

SPWLA                –              Boston symposium will be online.  Possible with ‘real’ local chapter events where appropriate